NANU PARATA

NANU PARATA

ULA'ULA KAHUNA
ALOLA

CHAVA
EST
PM/DISCORD

ABOUT
Nanu is the reluctant Kahuna for Ula'ula Island. He's been Kahuna for over a decade now, but he's still not much better at it. He spends most of his time sleeping in Po Town, which has recently been overtaken by Team Skull. They have an uneasy alliance, one which mostly relies on the fact that Nanu doesn't feel like kicking them out. He's also really, super, very depressed. But he likes his Meowths. He'll battle you if you really want it, but he's not the most proactive of Kahunas.
PLATONIC
His Meowths are his only friends.

But really, he probably has some... non-hostile relationships, at the very least? He goes to all the proper Kahuna meetings and talks with Ula'ula trial captains sometimes, although he doesn't often leave Ula'ula Island, limiting his contact with trial captains and individuals from other islands.

ANTAGONISTIC
TBH there's probably a bunch of reasons why people wouldn't like him. He's lazy, he isn't doing his job as Kahuna, he isn't doing his job as a decent human being and telling Team Skull to leave, there are probably people who think they would make better Kahunas than him, etc etc.
ROMANTIC
If you're looking for a depressed bisexual bachelor with approximately twenty-three pet cats, have I got the man for you.
OTHER
Team Skull members pleeeeease. Nanu tolerates them only because he doesn't feel up to doing anything about them, so they probably run across each other pretty often in Po Town.

There's also trainers taking on the island challenge, in which case Nanu is a necessary, if somewhat lackluster, stop. And like I said, other Kahunas, trial captains, Professor Kukui and Burnet, etc etc will be in contact with him the most.

Twinkletoes

played by
Fox
Oct 6 2017, 10:32 PM

Okay so I've spent twenty minutes staring at Taika and I have a problem. It's far too much!

I really like the split between Nanu and Kiawe, both kinda... dealing with the traditions and the past, but Nanu is worn out on it while Kiawe is still finding his fire. I can deeefinitely see Kiawe approaching Nanu for language lessons? I assume there's a lot of commonality across the islands, but also some differences, and growing up in different places, he probably has a lot to learn.

(I never really gave education much thought, but Kiawe is definitely not a fast learner with brain-stuff, but he's eager and this is probably one of the few times he is the pushy one, trying to get a 'yes, fine, I'll teach you, please stop bothering me'.)

KIAWE CAN CALL HIM UNCLE AND MENTOR/PUPIL SLOW BURN FRIENDSHIP AND THEY CAN BOTH TEACH EACH OTHER SO MUCH.

SAME DEAL I LOVE WRITING STARTERS JUST LEMME KNOW WHAT YOU'RE UP FORRRR.

Akala Island Kahuna

played by
Stark
Oct 8 2017, 02:29 AM

so i think nanu might be the one person that olivia doesn't really like all that much. she's mostly just frustrated with him, and a lot of that is because of how different in personality they are.

of course, she was taught to respect her elders and will struggle with that a lot when she wants to tell him off. but that doesn't stop her from showing up on ula'ula to harrass him a little after kicking some team skull ass. like, "i was just almost mugged and here you are with a meowth, what if i was stabbed?" to which nanu is probably like...shrug.

so obviously, they're just best friends.

Its only breaking the law if you get caught.

played by
Fox
Oct 9 2017, 03:41 AM

Yesssss please! (Me, the other day: Oh man look at Taika's beard, I want a character with a beard! Who has a nice beard?)

I figure Remy's family was basically all but known to law enforcement. You know they're doing bad things, you can probably list off the crimes they're committing, but catching and convicting is impossible without a whole bunch of legwork and resources.

It's not exactly a secret that he's related to a fairly substantial Kalosian crime family, even if he was a kid and not at all involved, but there's some weight to that name, to those who make the connection? Nanu seems naturally cautious of people in general, but some journalist trying to dig his nose into the Po Town situation with that name is probably a little bit suspicious.

BUT YES PLEASE. I can probably come up with something more concrete, but I'm totally down for these two plotting together, because cranky old men funtimes is all I've ever wanted.

Akala Island Kahuna

played by
Stark
Oct 10 2017, 10:53 AM

liv, from the rooftops: KAHUNA-Y?? KAHUNA-Y!!

she really tries not to rise to the occasion. but she can't help it! she has mouth okay, she's gotta use it! at the end of the day she actually respects him she is just like...honestly confused by him. (and though she'd never say it, confused by wtf tapu bulu was thinking. but he's probably used to that!

also "Hala is too... everything." sijgrigdurhg liv agrees.

Boo!

played by
Ariel
Oct 12 2017, 03:15 PM

ACEROLA & NANU
Ur not my dad!

Acerola def loves Nanu, but as she's gotten older she hit that teenage rebel streak where she hates everyone and everything. Nanu isn't a real authority figure, but he's like the only one she's got so she has to rebel against him.

So like shes bugged him for all of her life and suddenly she's not bugging him and what is wrong? She has to go out of her way to annoy him still, by not caring about what he has to say instead of hanging onto his every word like she used to do when she was young.

You're old, Uncle. You're not cool anymore.

She def hangs out in Po Town just to spite him, but that's her way of being close and annoying Nanu still. She has to fight past her hardheadedness and go back to loving him like she used to when she was young, but she's changing and he's staying the same.

But yeah, I'm open for everything with them, give it all to me. They would definitely have a communication error and yell at each other often and get exasperated because they don't understand each other.
#science

played by
Janus
Oct 13 2017, 06:39 AM

Depressed?

Lonely?

Failure as a decent human?

Aarya looks at Nanu and sees herself; which should terrify her but tbh it really really really doesn't. Because if he can be high-functioning at not functioning then so can she. If he ever wants someone he can be depressed around, Aarya's his girl. Misery loves miserable company. They can be the worst BFFs ever.

Real talk tho: should she ever watch him interacting with Acerola, there will be resentment. Because he's in the same place she is yet somehow he has someone who cares about him. Even if it's just him and Acerola arguing. It's sad and terrible and not at all healthy.

Also she kind of likes his beard. And his Meowth.

lbr she's mostly in it for the Meowth.

#science

played by
Janus
Oct 14 2017, 06:09 AM

So it didn't even occur to me until now, but Aarya is most likely dealing with chronic pain after her car accident. And since she heavily self-medicates, it's entirely possible she just wanders around sometimes in a daze. Which could lead to her randomly ending up in Po Town; I have this hilarious (but v sad but also v hilarious) image of her one night falling asleep outside his house after getting lost teleporting with her Gardevoir. Poor Nanu wakes up to some stranger outside his house being watched over by a Gardevoir. She's staying somewhere on Ula'ula Island but I've yet to figure out exactly where. It certainly isn't in Malie City because that's too many people and she just. cannot. deal.

Tbh she probably bought a house somewhere alongside/near/overlooking the Secluded Shore. She probably comes around at weird hours without warning, but it's not consistent. It might be 3 times in one week but then she's gone for like 3 weeks. And at no point would she just let herself in (most likely because why would Nanu let her?????); she just checks to see if he's home, decides whether or not it's worth the effort, then knocks like 20 times in case he's sleeping. See how considerate she is?

Another thing: does he still keep up with International Police business? Like watching the news or intercepting police radio (idk why I assume he would do the latter). If it fits/works, would he know of the Sinnoh lab accident? I mean, even if he did, she would be too exhausted to find someone else to mope around with. Not like she'd (consciously) answer any questions but she'd be like "yes 'tis me. okay now can we pls go back to watching the Meowth documentary that is your house"

Trainer

played by
Mav
Oct 14 2017, 12:28 PM

So not toooooo long after Nanu became Kahuna Mav was busy taking on the island challenge, which he completed. So naturally they would have battened at some point. With how lazy Nanu likes to be I could see these two really not liking one another. Mav is full of energy and life, and hes perplexed by how Nanu got the position he did. I could also see him (with his coming return to Alola) showing up to try and get rid of team skull and being pissed that the Kahuna isn’t doing anything about it. He’s not some vigilante out for justice but he does care strongly for Pokémon so he’d be highly against them. I could see it hitting the point where maybe Mav tries to get him kicked out of his position.

definitely not the masked royal why do you ask

played by
kipper
Oct 31 2017, 08:04 AM

KUKUI & NANU
kukui also doesnt understand nanu at all. wishes he would try a little harder at being a kahuna but isn't gonna push him. let him use ur cats to learn about dark-type z-moves thx

and you're absolutely right kukui definitely shared a joint with him one time and absolutely loved the way nanu's attitude toward him changed drastically. (not drastically on anyone else's scale but on the nanu scale hoo boy). kukui likes to think he's the one person who really like, gets nanu because he's the one person who just leaves him The Fuck Alone

i like to imagine kukui testing nanu's acceptance of him like, making up new slang at kahuna meetings and looking pointedly at nanu who just nods along and meanwhile acerola is sniggering behind her hands at her Lame Dads

King of Excuses

played by
kaltag
Nov 14 2017, 01:25 PM

Listen. Listen. Akiva GETS him. He's basically Akiva in 15 years at this point. I would love to throw them together because i don't think Akiva's ever met someone SO MUCH like him. Akiva has a hard time making friends but he could absolutely appreciate the similarities between them. I'd love for them to at least meet a couple of times, possibly?
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Options
Add Topic
New Poll