A Realistic Pokemon RP

Add Topic
New Poll

AUTOMATIC, Soleil Marlow
Akala Island Kahuna

played by
Stark
Oct 9 2017, 12:46 AM

Olivia exists at the whims of Tapu Lele.

Perhaps it is disrespectful to think, that the guardian has whims, as if they're passing fancies. But sometimes, that's how these chores feel. As if it thinks she's getting lazy. that she needs to work on the Ruins in order to maintain her work ethic. Sometimes she wonders if when her grandmother passed, the woman's spirit had passed onto the Tapu.

She'd always thought Olivia to be lazy, and misguided, but hadn't lived long enough to see her open her store, or the weeks she spent travelling, searching for fossils. The nights spent making delicate, beautiful jewelry that tourists love.

She didn't live to see her granddaughter become Kahuna, taking on trialgoers at the Ruins of Life she's now cleaning. Candles burn on the altar as she sweeps away debris from the last battle. Her lycanroc scoops up rubble and munches on it before spitting it back out.

Olivia doesn't look up at the sound of footsteps, her back to the entrance when she says, "Sorry, no trials right now. Tapu Lele has me busy—" But then she looks, and it's Soleil. She drops the dustpan and hurries over, throws her arms around the girl she hadn't seen since her childhood.

"Soleil, what are you doing here?" she asks, her voice wound tight with excitement. She draws back, her Kahuna duties forgotten for the moment as she looks her over. Her heart gives a little jump, and for a moment she wonders if she's maybe too excited, if it comes off immature.

At the same time, she doesn't care.

Apprentice Researcher

played by
chava
Oct 9 2017, 01:04 PM

It's nice being back home. It's odd that it even feels like home after all these years away, traveling through Kalos and all the other regions that sparked her interest. She only just got back to the islands two nights ago and she's spent her time sleeping, her body adjusting to the new schedule, and settling in. She's renting an apartment in Konikoni City, not too far from where she grew up, using the money her mother sends her every other week to pay for rent.

She's barely settled in before she's grabbing a bag and heading out, walking down the street of her long lost home, phone in hand as she scrolls through a list of directions. She only finds the shop after asking someone for directions—imagine that, her having to ask someone for directions here, in a place she swore she knew better than herself. It's beautiful, but when she enters, looking around for the familiar sight of her old friend, she finds nothing.

"Kahuna Olivia went to the Ruins," says a boy, polishing a collection of gemstones and rocks. Soleil thanks him and heads out again, this time knowing exactly where to go.

The Tapus were always a source of fascination for her as a child. She's never seen Tapu Lele—or any of the others—in-person, but she knows the Ruins well enough like the back of her hand. The trek up to the Ruins is longer than she remembered, but maybe she's simply getting old. By the time she reaches the entrance, she's panting a little bit, but takes a moment to catch her breath, hands glancing along the statues outside the cave entrance.

The first thing she notices upon entering is that there's a Lycanroc happily munching away on some rocks. The second is that Olivia looks much prettier in-person than her online photos could ever show.

Olivia's in the midst of apologizing for being busy when she turns, and she pulls her into a hug before her can react. But Soleil's smiling—unable to help it, really—and wraps her arms around her old, old friend. She pulls back, grinning madly, and gestures to the Ruins. "I know you became Kahuna, but look at you!" It's still a source of amazement for Soleil, that her friend could become Kahuna—not because she believes Olivia to be incapable, but because it's so awe-inspiring. "I thought I'd surprise you," she says, offering a hand for the Lycanroc to sniff. "It's crazy, but I'm back home."

Akala Island Kahuna

played by
Stark
Oct 10 2017, 05:26 PM

A kahuna, Soleil says, and her smile makes Olivia feel like less of a burden. She attends her duties humbly, with grace, but she also wants a life for herself, wants to be how she used to be before she took over as Kahuna.

The way Soleil said it, however—it makes the whole thing feel cool.

Lycanroc sniffs at the other woman’s hand, turns it over as if trying to see if maybe it contained a gem he could bring to Olivia. He gives a gentle bite just to make sure, and the Kahuna swats his head.

"It's crazy, but I'm back home." and yes crazy, Olivia thinks, because she’d seen the places Soleil had been after she left the island. She would scroll through pictures before bed, trying her best not to accidentally like the ones from years ago, and wanting to die the times she did.

She travels, sometimes, to add to her collection but she always returned home after a week or two. The only thing tying her to Akala is the Tapu and her love for her hometown, but Soleil having been so far away, and her feeling so lonely after her family passed…

She’s quick to usher her thoughts away from that, and places her hands on her hips. The Ruins calm her, as they always do, but her heart still beats at an unreasonable pace. ”With unfortunate timing,” she sighs. ”There was a rough battle around here the other day. This kid came in with a passimian, almost took out Tapu Lele’s shrine! I hate to put you to work but…” A smile lights up her face, to match Soleil’s. ”Maybe Tapu Lele will be impressed and you’ll get a present for helping out.”

It’s a possibility; mostly, she just wants to finish clearing out the rubble so she could actually talk to her friend.

Apprentice Researcher

played by
chava
Oct 12 2017, 03:47 PM

The Lycanroc nips at her hand and Soleil merely smiles, letting out a short laugh. "I promise I'm not a rock," she says, reaching out to pet him behind the ear. He's cautious at first, but eventually presses his head back into her palm.

Olivia mentions needing help cleaning up and Soleil's already reaching into her bag, pulling out a Pokéball and opening it. A flash of red light illuminates the shrine for a moment before Jasper appears, already wagging his tail. He's smaller than Olivia's Lycanroc and tan rather than red, but he quickly recognizes what is another member of his species and approaches the Lycanroc carefully.

"You can help out too, Jas," she says, patting him on the back. "Just get rid of these rocks for us, alright?"

While the two Lycanrocs work on the heavier rocks, Soleil turns her attention back to Olivia, scooping down and brushing some rocks off the shrine. "I still can't believe it," she says, glancing at her childhood friend. "Kahuna! You have to tell me what it's like. You have to tell me what Tapu Lele is like. How does it communicate? How did you know it chose you?" And then, remembering Olivia's earlier comment, she eagerly asks, "Do you really think non-Kahunas can meet the Tapus? I mean, sure, there's sightings, but I mean really meet them."

She's rambling now, she knows, but the thought of the Tapus still ignites a child-like passion within her. They're beautiful, amazing creatures and the fact that her own friend was lucky enough to meet one fascinates her.

"Oh, but how are you?" she adds, finally breaking her concentration from the Tapu. "How have you been? I know we talked a little online, but I haven't seen you in years! I stopped by the shop earlier. It's gorgeous."

Akala Island Kahuna

played by
Stark
Oct 15 2017, 08:12 PM

Olivia blinks when Soleil calls out her lycanroc, a midday form with beautiful tawny fur. "Oh, she's gorgeous," she coos, knowing her own lycanroc will not appreciate a compliment going anywhere but to him.

Soleil is still surprised about her cosmic promotion, and Olviia's nerves take that and run with it. Does that mean she'd have thought her to be a bad Kahuna? Irresponsible? Olivia may not have been the best child, she got up to her fair amount of trouble, but she wasn't a terrible kid.

She continues sweeping for a moment as Soleil clears the shrine and questions to roll from her tongue, and she decides that of course her friend isn't surprised because she thought her a bad person. It's surprising because fate's just like that. "Well, it's..." And she tries to think of which question to answer first, how to answer it.

The answer expected of the Kahuna would be, "It is an honor to serve as Kahuna for Tapu Lele." That would be the right thing to say to Soleil, who had this childlike wonder about her that Olivia so badly didn't want to ruin with the truth.

"It was hard, and truthfully, I didn't want it at first," she finally settles on, leaning against the broom and turning back to her friend. "Tapu Lele showed up at my grandmother's grave and I just knew. They don't really communicate the way people do...it's hard to describe. But it was sort of like a feeling. That's how it always is with the Tapu." She finds an interesting looking rock, bends over to pick it up. Really, she's just trying to avoid looking at Soleil while she talks about this.

"I don't really understand the Tapu's whims myself," she admits, pocketing the rock. "But I do know them to approach people they think worthy. When they see something in a trainer. Who knows! Tapu Lele could say hi if you hang around me enough."

Usually confident, she finds herself feeling a little awkward after that. Was that weird, to presume that Soleil will want to hang out with her as much as they used to? She quickly moves on, kicking rocks a little more fiercely before.

"I'm great now, though, I have the shop..." is only half a lie, but that's hard to tell when she's smiling like that. Half of it is only because of the researcher's compliment, the It's gorgeous.

Lycanroc tackles his counterpart then, wanting to play, and Olivia calls, "Hey, behave! You'll never make friends like that."

Her pokemon gives her a look she knows to mean, "don't tell me what to do," and hops away from the Soleil's lycanroc. She tosses her hair over her shoulder, shakes her head. "Sorry about that, he's a rowdy one. How've you been? I saw your pictures of Hoenn and now I can't think of anywhere else I want to travel to."

Apprentice Researcher

played by
chava
Oct 18 2017, 07:26 PM

”Thanks,” Soleil says, letting out a brief, awkward laugh. It’s not really her doing that Jasper looks the way he does, but she doesn’t really know what else to say, and being around Olivia has suddenly made her far more flustered than she already is around pretty girls. ”I got him from my mom,” she adds, trying to fix the brief silence. “One of her litter. He was a little rambunctious at first, but he’s settled down.” Upon seeing him attempting to stare down Olivia’s Lycanroc, ears twitching ever so slightly, she grabs at the scruff of his neck and hastily adds, ”Mostly.”

She’s all ears when Olivia describes her work as a Kahuna. It’s always been something that Soleil was taught to admire—that all children in Alola were taught to admire. A Kahuna was a leader, a friend of people and Pokémon alike, and they were always chosen by the Tapus for a reason. She’s surprised when Olivia admits she didn’t want the position at first, but once she thinks about it, she comes to the same conclusion. There’s no reason the Tapu would ever choose her, but if it ever did, that would mean she’d be stuck on the islands for the rest of her life. No traveling, no exploring, no adventure. For a small moment, she feels something close to pity for Olivia, but it’s quickly overshadowed with the assurance that Olivia would make the best of the hand she's been dealt.

”That’s still amazing!” She almost wishes she had her notebook with her—she probably has one, somewhere in her bag—but she doesn’t want to spend time interviewing Olivia rather than simply talking to her. Not now, at least. Maybe she’ll use that as an excuse for when she inevitably wants to see Olivia again.

”I’m sorry about your grandma,” she says quietly. Jasper suddenly softens, sensing a shift in the mood, and plops down on the ground, sitting obediently. ”If she could see you now, she’d be so proud of you, though. I’m sure of it.” She remembers Olivia’s grandmother vaguely, like she’s looking through fogged glass; all of her memories of the woman focus in on Olivia alone and blur everything else out.

Suddenly, Olivia's Lycanroc pounces on Jasper, his trainer immediately admonishing him. Jasper looks confused if anything, sitting with another of his kind right on top of him. ”Go on, play,” Soleil urges. Jasper rolls onto his feet once more, shaking off the dust that’s accumulated on him. He watches the other Lycanroc more interestedly now, pacing and letting out a small yip.

”Oh, Hoenn was great! I’ve been great. You have to visit sometime. Hoenn, not me." She's starting to blush, nervous, but she continues on nevertheless. "I stayed with a family in Fortree City for a few weeks—I made sure to take lots of pictures—and it was just gorgeous. The trees grow so tall, they almost match our Exeggutors."

Akala Island Kahuna

played by
Stark
Oct 23 2017, 11:41 PM

Olivia giggles when Soleil tugs at the lycanroc; they're fighters, not lovers, and she's worked hard to train hers, as sure as Soleil has done the same. Her little pup has such a pretty coat, too, and that takes an incredible amount of work; she would know.

Though Soleil seems as impressed with her kahuna life as Olivia is with her pokemon, she wonders if her grandmother would have been just as proud.

Her grandmother had, of course, loved Soleil. She'd been the type of woman to want to impress anyone, and that'd been easy to do with the Valentine family's jewels and artwork, their house a museum more than a home. Olivia couldn't wait until she moved out, especially after her parents' died.

"I think so too," she says, considering. "Or she'd tell me to change because my outfit's gaudy. But she'd probably be proud while saying it."

She'd loved her grandmother, but they hadn't always gotten along, and she's glad to have the lycanrocs as a distraction. She allows them to play; her lycanroc may be rowdy, as well, but she trusts him.

"That sounds terrifying, Soleil," she says. "As tall as exeggutors? Do you want me to break my neck? If it means visiting you, I guess I could..." She nudges her friend with the end of the broom (and notices the blush, which is of course not encouraging her one bit.) "Just don't go back any time soon. You just got here!"

And already doing chores for the guardian. Liv takes a moment to assess the cave, and leans the broom against a thankfully intact rock. She laces her fingers together, stretches out. "That good enough, Tapu Lele?" A beat, and then, she looks at Soleil. Smiles big and cheesy. "I'll take that as a yes."

Apprentice Researcher

played by
chava
Oct 24 2017, 09:26 PM

"Psh, your outfit is not gaudy," she says, and she's not joking, either. Olivia's always been pretty fashionable, unlike Soleil—half of her clothes are one size too big, or from the men's department, but she's never thought about the way others might perceive her, particularly not any dead grandmothers that might still be lingering around.

Still, she knows what it's like to be stuck living in the shadow of someone; getting away from her mother's reputation was why she left Kalos in the first place. She loves her mother—and her father—but she's twenty six already. She's more than ready to find her place in the world.

"Mhm, they're huge! And in Johto, there's all the massive towers—those are big too, but they're gorgeous." She's smiling perhaps a bit too wide when Olivia says not to leave again, and she doesn't say anything for a minute, just grinning stupidly.

Soleil looks around like Tapu Lele's about to show up—and she's a tad disappointed when it doesn't—but with their job done, there's no more reason to stay here. "Are you hungry? We could grab a bite to eat. I passed a restaurant on the way here and whatever they were serving smelled delicious." At the mention of food, Jasper perks up, trotting over to Soleil and sniffing her palms, checking to see if she has anything for him.

Akala Island Kahuna

played by
Stark
Oct 31 2017, 11:06 PM

Olivia laughs. "Ha, I'm always gaudy!" she says. "But I'm glad you think I have taste."

She does run a jewlery shop, so taste is one of the things she cultivates, the same way she cultivates evolutionary stones and relics that remind her of her parents. But her fashion has always been bright, colorful, the style you might see during a Kalosian festival but not for casual wear.

As long as she's got Soleil's approval, she thinks she's just fine.

Soleil describes the Johto towers, and that's a land she hasn't been to either. "I imagine," she agrees, "Johto always seems so nice. Peaceful."

A large difference from Alola. While most places are enjoying their peace under the watchful gaze of their guardian deities, Olivia sees Skull as a threat that should be taken more seriously than some others do.

A restaurant? Her first thought—like a date?—startles her, and she tries not to think of it that way. What if she blushed? Embarrassing! "I could always go for something delicious," she says, looping her arm through Soleil's. She steers them out of the cave and into the sunlight. They walk down to the memorial and Olivia asks, "What kind of restaurant? Do you know? Have you been around a lot of places yet? So many new stores have popped up while you've been gone. That malasada place got remodeled last year!"

Apprentice Researcher

played by
chava
Nov 2 2017, 01:26 PM

Soleil's found that all seven regions have their charm, from Hoenn's quaint waterways to Kalos's stylish cities. All have their unique qualities, and all have their downsides, but Alola has always had a special place in her heart. Whether it's the atmosphere of the islands or misplaced nostalgia, Alola has always felt a world apart from everywhere else. Perhaps because, for most, it is. For many—perhaps too many—it's only a tourist destination, a place to get away from the bustle of Kanto and the other regions. She knows there's more to the islands than that, though.

Before she knows it, Olivia's looping an arm through hers, and Soleil silently scolds herself for overthinking it. They were friends as children—of course she'd be affectionate. Besides, she's never even seen Olivia talk about being with a woman before. Or even being attracted to one. Olivia is out of her league in more ways than she can count.

"I'm not sure actually—I just know it smelled good." She smiles at the sudden torrent of questions, waiting until Olivia's finished to answer them in turn. "I haven't! Seeing you was my first stop after settling in." Maybe that's a bit too forward—they were friends, sure, but it's not like they talked every single night, or told each other all their deepest secrets. She rushes on, slightly embarrassed, and says, "It seems so much busier than I remember. Is it the tourists? Or are more people moving here? And malasadas sound perfect. Maybe a full meal first, though? I'm hungry."

Akala Island Kahuna

played by
Stark
Nov 9 2017, 09:36 PM

Soleil says she doesn't even know what the place is, and had she really come so soon after arriving? Oh... She likes that. Being the first thing she wants to see in Alola.

Then she mentions tourists, and Olivia says, "Yeah, they're all here to see me."

To be fair, that isn't a far-off assumption. There's plenty of trial-goers who want to take her on, and she likes to think her store is popular. But just as popular were the stalls and boutiques, the scenic shore. It's a getaway for a lot of people, isolated on the south of Akala.

"There's some great places to shop," is more serious, although a smile still plays at her lips. "Like the girl who sells incense—that's my favorite."

When they reach the city, she takes Soleil to the incense stall before they could go and eat. "Just real quick!" she says after the girl behind the stand greets her. The stall is close to her shop, and Olivia hadn't been kidding that this is her favorite. "Do you want anything? I know they have some effects on pokemon, and I can get you a good deal."

They're, naturally, expensive. Olivia had been surprised to learn how many people were willing to give her things for free after becoming Kahuna. She doesn't often take them up on that offer, but maybe it'll impress Soleil.

Apprentice Researcher

played by
chava
Nov 14 2017, 12:47 AM

Soleil lets out a small laugh at Olivia’s remark, but she honestly wouldn’t be surprised. Being Kahuna is a big job, one that everyone on the islands knows to respect (barring, perhaps, the newcomers, but they would learn about Alolan customs soon enough). Even past that, there’s Olivia herself; Soleil would be lying if she said that she didn’t spend time thinking about returning to her childhood friend when she debated the pros and cons of returning to Alola.

She quickly returns Jasper to his Pokéball before following Olivia down to the city, practically dragged along, but she isn’t complaining. She remembers spending time in this city as a child, the memories a bit fuzzy. Some things look like they haven’t changed a bit since she last spent time here. Others are completely unrecognizable to her.

She awkwardly waves hello to the girl running the incense stall, trying to look through each and every item. Her father enjoyed burning incense while he was working late at night, and the scent brings back a sudden flood of nostalgia and homesickness. She’ll have to call him later tonight.

”Um, that one?” It’s more of a question than anything as she points to one that almost smells like a cross between Kalosian perfume and spices. She doesn’t know much about the incense, although Olivia seems like an expert and Soleil’s more than willing to take her advice. ”Oh, wow—Liv, is that the price?” Alarm creeps into her voice as she notices a tag next to one of the small pots, finding too many zeros than she personally thinks is necessary.

Akala Island Kahuna

played by
Stark
Nov 23 2017, 06:42 PM

When Soleil points to an incense she might like, Olivia hums in approval. She hasn't a lot, mostly because she hadn't any pokemon that required the scent to evolve, but she'd burnt some in her apartment. Her Nosepass isn't the biggest fan of strong scents, unfortunately, so she doesn't even have candles in her shop.

She waves a hand in front of her face when her friend points out the price. "Don't worry about it!"

Olivia has never been one to throw her weight around as Kahuna outside of battle. But she speaks with the girl, who's name is Lani, familiarly. She doesn't have to sway her or convince her to knock off a few zeroes. When Olivia points to the incense Olivia wants, she offers a lower price and Olivia grins.

"Are you sure?" she asks, and Lani nods emphatically.

She pays for the incense and its holder, quick enough so Soleil wouldn't have any time to argue against it; a talent she'd learned from her grandmother whenever bills had to be paid at restaurants. She hands it to Soleil, looking rather proud of what she's just done. "A welcome home gift," she says by way of explanation. "I never had one like this before—I wonder what pokemon it's for. Maybe you should do some research on it."

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Options
Add Topic
New Poll