MARGOT STERLING

MARGOT STERLING

POKÉMON RANGER
UNOVA

CHAVA
EST
PM/DISCORD

ABOUT
Margot was born on the outskirts of Icirrus City on a large compound dedicated to her family's business. The Sterling family trains Pokémon, using quasi-legal methods that certainly constitute as Pokémon cruelty to force a Pokémon to its limit and beyond. The family also offers trained, buffed Pokémon to new trainers who are willing to pay, gifting them as so-called charity and receiving their payment under the table. Although the family is not necessarily a stranger to scandal, these scandals were mostly kept from the public through a dedicated (and well-paid) team of lawyers. Approximately 13 years ago, a years-long investigation hit the papers and the Sterling business suffered greatly. However, it still exists, although a shell of its former self, and despite downsizing, it still uses less-than-legal methods to buff and train Pokémon.

Margot met a man at the compound and fell in love with him; he was the one behind the investigation. She wanted to spend the rest of her life with him, but broke things off when he told her why he really came to their family business all those years ago. She left, pregnant, and spent the next few years licking her wounds with a childhood nanny. Then she left her daughter in order to pursue a career as a Pokémon Ranger.

PLATONIC
Margot never really learned how to make friends; her one true friendship was also romantic, and she felt very, very betrayed by it, so she's reluctant to trust just about anyone. The people she'll spend the most time with will be fellow Pokémon Rangers, although she usually works in the night rather than the day, but those are the ones who'll most likely be her friends (or as close to friends as she can get).
ANTAGONISTIC
This is complicated, but there's lots of reasons to dislike her. She can still come off as haughty, and if not that then certainly cold. She comes from new money, but good money, and her family's earned some media attention in court cases, although these have mostly been closed off to the public. The most recent case from a decade ago was definitely made public, though, so if you recognize her surname from anything, it'll be that.

On the other hand, there's people who she finds abusing Pokémon. She's absolutely merciless and doesn't care if she hurts you trying to separate you from your Pokémon. She's also one to attack first and ask questions later, so if she sees you doing anything questionable with your Pokémon, she won't hesitate to separate the two of you permanently. Although she doesn't come across researchers much in the wilds, she's especially critical towards them, and has a hard time trusting just about anyone who keeps a Pokémon in a cage (even if it's lined with silk pillows).

She sees battling as a necessary evil, and while she won't confiscate your Pokémon for a simple battle between friends, she's very harsh on those who use Mega Evolution or methods that Margot otherwise views as unnatural. Pokémon breeders will receive the same treatment.

ROMANTIC
She's had one relationship her entire life and it was a bit much so she'd like to take a break thank you.
OTHER
She grew up rather sheltered, but she likely would know some people—perhaps those who visited her family's compound as children, or people who even worked with them? The Sterling name is very well-known in Icirrus City, but their fame probably doesn't stretch beyond the borders of Unova. There may still be people who recognize her from the newspaper or in-person, and may assume she's still part of her family business. (Her separation from her family is not quite official, and her parents are reluctant to stir up yet another media scandal.)

Margot is a single(ish) mother who takes care of her daughter, Ada, when she's not busy doing Pokémon Ranger business. Since she's often away, Margot lives with a childhood nanny who takes care of Ada. She is desperately protective of her child, keeping her away from the press and anyone else who might question it. Her parents hid the pregnancy, but they assumed Margot terminated when she disappeared for a year or two. She is sympathetic to those with children and children themselves. If she catches anyone mistreating a child, she has no qualms about using her Pokémon to hurt the perpetrator very, very badly.

Note: She returns to Unova on a semi-consistent basis, but she does travel for her work. She spends most of her time in Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh, since these areas have Safari Zones/Parks.

She needs:

• fellow Pokémon Rangers
  • journalists and others who recognize her name/family
  • people who abuse their Pokémon and subsequently have them taken away

and I think you won't be able to recognize me now

played by
Taylor
Oct 22 2017, 05:59 AM

Oh gosh, just reading over her backstory I feel so strongly for her. I think Josh would, too, if he knew even the smallest details of what had happened; they went through a similar disillusionment with pokemon, though Josh is thankful that his didn't end in reporters and scandal but instead in the quiet cutting of ties between himself and his family. And like Margot, he didn't set out with the intention of founding a sanctuary. It was simply the direction his life took him in, and so there it was. If he knew of her life's direction, he'd be there as a friend who understands that moment when you realise that you've been viewing pokemon wrong your whole life, and all the weird regret that comes with it.

And, as the owner of said sanctuary, he collects unwanted and disabled pokemon like it's going out of style, so he'd sympathize a lot with her poor Noivern's condition. I imagine he asks Margot a lot of questions about her, as gently as he can, in the hopes of improving QOL for the sanctuary residents with similar conditions.

Also, I really love the idea that she's like, one of his contacts for when he's out on the prowl to rescue an abused pokemon from a bad trainer. He just hits her up like "I'm outside of [wherever], wanna help me liberate a pokemon? Drinks on me, after."

the white wolf

played by
kipper
Oct 22 2017, 08:40 PM

their names even work well together

i'm love her!! she's so wonderful and heartbreaking. she and min would definitely get along, since they have similar values and similar attitudes to their work. min's okay with haughtiness so long as it's not directed straight at her in a super duper obvious way - she's socially oblivious and often can't really tell if people are being rude or mean to her, since she's so accustomed to being blunt and forthright herself. if anything, if margot's offended by min's kinda brash roughness that would be more of a problem than anything on min's end.

batgirl and wolfgirl solving crimes and liberating pokemon from shady dudes and dudettes. like a superhero duo except neither of them is the sidekick, they're more of an occasional team-up for a bumper comic edition

let's. do something with them. idk what but let's have them beat up a team rocket dude or something

Sword of the League

played by
Azol
Oct 26 2017, 04:56 PM

So, I expect Franz is exactly the sort of trainer that Margot would find outwardly distressing. He’s a very disciplined, very exacting trainer who gives his Pokemon the best but expects the best therefore out of them. A year or three ago I imagine he was battling all over the world finishing his conquest of all things and proving that he was the best (literally for the sake of proving he was the best). There’s probably more than a few televised battles where Franz in a very nice suit is gesturing and acting like he’s a military leader and expecting his buddies to keep up with every minute change in command instantly. Not that he punishes failure, he just expects better next time. Whether or not Margot would consider his style of training and his attitude towards his Pokemon as battle brothers being archaic at best and dangerous at worse is entirely upto you.

However as we were discussing! Margot is free to join the Avengers I mean group of concerned citizens currently seeking to find some solution to the sudden spat of disappearances in Kalos. Franz might even contact her to see if she’d be interested since she might be able to shed some insight.

Outside of that you can find Wikstrom (when he isn’t doing league things) flitting about all over the place being a rather pleasant dude, he tends to prefer natural places to urban areas, hence the giant mansion in the middle of nowhere. Despite the fact he seems to be harsh and at times even uncaring it’s rather obvious the guy has a heart made out of as much gold as being a member of the landed gentry earns you these days. He just splashes it on silly things like always helping people and never really trying to care about himself anymore (because that way lies monsters).

Sword of the League

played by
Azol
Oct 27 2017, 02:45 AM

He’s the weird everything that nobody ever asked for.

But he’s kind of here to stay now and that means appearing at all the random times to ask for help from strangers or people he thinks might be able to help with something he’s doing. He’d undoubtedly be at least aware of her Family’s business but I expect he’d conclude that it’s just rather dishonourable and lacks discipline to skip the most important of training and bonding with your companions to just have them artificially strengthened. In fact, I think he might find that rather disgusting, but that wouldn’t stop him friending Margot.

Yes team, team, team and plz throw him all the weird looks whilst he strides around throwing out his thous and thees and pointing at stuff and generally looking quite important whilst also looking insane. He has a good heart though and I imagine it’d very quickly become obvious that he’s a warm man who has time in his day for everything big and small regardless of how annoying it might be.

I’ll get something up in Unova soon, unless Margot wants a very long-winded letter first.

The Last Sea Silk Seamstress

played by
Stark
Nov 1 2017, 07:35 AM

nell does....so poorly under pressure, like she just wants to impress the cool ranger people and keeps promising she's a good person who loves pokemon. she probably shows off all the cool new things she makes for the pokemon, like floating devices for the injured water types, and hopes that margot is totally in awe of her sick contraption building skills and overwhelming empathy and love for all things.

you know, one or the other.

as a note - nell grew up rather isolated herself, being from a small island with a mom who indoctrinated her into tradition and didn't teach her much outside of tradition, so i think she'd actually relate to margot and her social gracelessness. but she tends to relate to like, everyone in some way and is wholly emotionally driven so even when margot is just >:( all the time, nell was just like =D =D =D

Ocean in the rise and fall: lungs of everyone I love.

played by
Sif
Nov 2 2017, 08:00 PM

I love the idea of Sid meeting Margot, especially since she's apt to know more about water Pokemon than Sid, and Sid loves every opportunity to learn.

What if we gave Sid a very sick 'mon and he has no idea what to do, so he seeks specialized help at the ranger station (is that a thing?).

Another, more terrifying (for Sid) route would be that she is, indeed, looking for a poacher, and Sid happens to be in the vicinity looking suspicious because he's not really a trainer and is doing weird independent research stuff.

On a side note, I've always liked the idea of Sid not really understanding the laws very well and doing his own thing, like...collecting algae off rocks that happen to be in a restricted zone, but he knows enough not to do any damage so he goes anyway...

just bloom.

played by
ecto
Nov 3 2017, 11:54 PM

tbh evie probably very doesn't like margot right back. and not just because margot is rude and questions her love and care of her pokémon just because they like to perform - like, who does she think she is - but because tbh she's abrasive as hell and she thinks she knows best and makes jump assumptions without even talking to a person first!! god! she's rude!! evie can't stand her!! and she feels bad about it!!
this life we live, we only live one.

played by
shiny
Nov 6 2017, 12:09 AM

alright so gray like.... appreciates margot's effort but doesn't agree with a lot of her ideals. he sees what she means -- yeah it would be great if all pokemon ever lived in their natural habitats but like, he knows that his pokemon loves to work with him and is proud of the work they do. so he just doesn't agree. i can see them butting heads drastically if they'd met up before he met evie but like, once he met evie and if margot talked trash about her, their relationship would be 100% contentious. he IS very protective of people he loves (even if he doesn't Love evie yet).
I licked it, so it is mine.

played by
Kaien
Nov 6 2017, 12:50 PM

I feel like Daxton would have a field day with getting Margot to scold Mateo for training him too hard, despite the fact that he definitely doesn't train him too hard xD That pikachu is the lazy trickster who will 100% play up being overly tired, and maybe even fake a minor injury in order to play Margot into thinking he needs a break when he's actually only been training for 3 seconds.

Meanwhile, cue Mateo stumbling over his words as she scolds him about how he's not overtraining and he swears he'd never hurt them and please stop yelling. He doesn't appreciate people telling him what to do, but in this case it's in regard for his pokemon's well-being, so he wouldn't be confrontational about it, he'd just be trying to explain that Dax is actually a trickster who's perfectly fine.

And trust, if Margot ever even walked by again after that, Daxton would definitely cry out and pretend to faint on the ground to get her attention. But if she actually tries to take him away he'd be like "I'VE MADE A DIRE ERROR DON'T SEPARATE ME FROM MY HOOMAN AHH" via much wiggling and reaching for Mateo. I'm not sure exactly how Mateo is going to convince Margot that he loves his pokes, but uh, he'll do his best? 8,D I imagine him being super awk and anxious around her after the first time they meet because he doesn't want to get scolded again LOL

The Big Bear Man

played by
Ariel
Nov 7 2017, 07:50 PM

like i've said a million times, elias is just a big awkward teddy bear, and i love the way margot would go about it because he literally did not know women could be that straightforward? and he's just like, stuttering and blushing all over the place like a schoolgirl. and then they end up sleeping together and he starts to avoid her?? because he is scared??

and margot will obviously not have that shit! they work together! and so, a long line of flirtationships and hookups remain. we can even buildup something? maybe? i'm super not on this earth rn so i think it'd be cool if later they married if ever and she proposed to him bc he is so dumb and she's been dropping hints for months? just a nice thought cause i'm hgih.

and elias is FULL OF FEELINGS. and throw her daughter at him he loves kids.

An inch of nothing for your soul.

played by
Sif
Nov 8 2017, 01:22 AM

I reckon Aria's done a well enough job staying under the radar, but I am curious to see how she does against Margot xD

We could have Aria hanging out at a bar somewhere in Unova (maybe she's taking some vacation time), visiting some disreputable friends from home. Problem is, her "friends" are probably involved in some illicit Pokémon smuggling rings.

We could have Aria somehow warn her friends before Margot finds the cellar where they keep their Pokémon, and then Aria tries to take the heat off them by telling Margot about her friends rivals, and they could do some legit crime-stopping.

Margot could start suspecting Aria of being shady ('cuz she is shady), which can lead up to Margot deciding she needs to keep tabs on Aria, and then who knows what happens!

Also, how would you feel if Margot's family was a well-known donor to the foster-care system? IDK what would come of it, but...flavor?

The Spartan Mayor

played by
Stark
Nov 8 2017, 11:04 AM

dray loves that noivern baby, and lbr, cares greatly for margot. he's glad she came to him for help, and gladly assisted her when it came to mobility problems for the baby and any questions about its health. i imagine he knows professors and doctors specialize in dragon types and would have hooked her up.

i'm sure he's been asked to speak out against her family - because the cities are so close - and he absolutely would have.

but that was years ago, and he'd never judge margot by what her family's done. i think he sees her as a good soul who's doing her best, but still has a lot to learn. so for that reason, i imagine he's supportive of her, even though he doesn't always agree with her actions or beliefs.

The Dealer

played by
orion
Nov 8 2017, 03:24 PM

i love it when rangers run into him. he always gets paranoid and suspicious and he tends to run away as fast as possible with some excuse or another. he's trying his best to be a good dad to egg but his bad habits really don't help him, but hey he has to make money somehow and the kid never finished school so he doesn't even have much of an education to him.

he'll probably find her annoying but hey honestly if they keep running into each other she might make him homesick for the mother he never really had? hmu lmk
Several Zubats

played by
ant
Nov 15 2017, 11:56 AM

yooooooooo. i need these two to interact, like yesterday. zor's always got their ear to the ground for juicy info about the places they're traveling in, so they definitely have heard of margot's family. their parents were never as high class as having a whole organization, but i think they'll be a little soothed to know they're not alone in the world. that people can come from these sorts of families and still live.

i am 100% down with doing an accidental daughter run-in. zor'll be like, "margot! ......and small, additional margot." maybe insta it for blackmail (jkjk). but i think it'd be cute and awkward and hilarious.

i feel like zor would initially put on the Fake Face for margot, but i could see her as someone they would slowly open up to? idk it could be nice.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Options
Add Topic
New Poll